Immigration Services and Naturalization

If you are a parent who is looking to naturalize your foreign-born children, you may have a number of questions about the process and the different options available to you. Dempsey Law is here to help you navigate the process and achieve your goals.


Taking the first step in adopting, surrogacy, or ART can seem intimidating. We’re here to support you every step of the way. 

Contact Us Today

The Naturalization Process

One way to get foreign-born children to obtain legal status is through the process of naturalization. Naturalization is the process by which a foreign national becomes a citizen of the United States. In order to qualify for naturalization, a person must meet certain eligibility requirements, including being at least 18 years old, having a green card (permanent resident status), and being physically present in the US for at least five years (three years if married to a US citizen).

I-130 Petitions For Immediate Relatives

If you are a US citizen and your child is under 18 years old and living outside of the US, you can apply for a green card for your child through an I-130 Petition for an Immediate Relative. This process allows you to sponsor your child for a green card and bring them to the US to live with you. Once your child has a green card, they can apply for citizenship after they turn 18.

Seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

If you have a child who is living in the US without permanent legal status, there may be options available to help your child obtain legal status. For example, if your child has been abandoned, neglected, or abused by one or both parents, they may be eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS). SIJS allows children who have been abused, neglected, or abandoned by one or both parents to apply for legal status in the US.

The Difference Between A Green Card and Citizenship

It is important to note that there is a difference between a green card and citizenship. A green card gives a person the right to live and work in the US permanently, but it does not grant them all of the rights and privileges of US citizenship. For example, green card holders are not eligible to vote in federal elections or hold certain government jobs. In order to become a US citizen, a person must go through the naturalization process, which involves taking a test on US history and government and making a pledge of allegiance to the US.

Contact Us Today

If you are a parent who is looking to naturalize your foreign-born children, it is important to carefully consider your options and to work with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you are taking the right steps to help your children obtain legal status. Whether you are seeking to bring your child to the US through an I-130 petition or you are exploring other options, such as SIJS, Dempsey Law can provide you with the guidance and support you need to navigate the process.

Let’s Get Started

Are you ready to grow your family?
We’re ready to help.